Monday, August 2, 2010

No Honey for your Cakes?


We do live in a world now where running out of things is not a huge issue, we just drive to the store. That being said, I still get all whoopee dooey over being able to utilize and improvise so when I learn a trick from days of yore I am more than eager to share!

When I came across this 1906 recipe for mock honey I was delighted and imagined Miss Etta must have made her mock honey in the early spring and lived in Florida. I do not have a lot of info on Miss Etta so you will have to imagine as well! Not having a pic of Miss Etta I have added a photo of my sweet sweet Aunt Rose.


The recipe is simple as I am sure most things seem to have been back then, however that may not necessarily be so. Cooking over fire, such a delicacy could be intense.

1 pound sugar
1 orange
4 eggs well beaten
1/4 pound of butter
juice of 2 lemons
grated rind of one lemon
Stir over a fire until smooth.

That is all! I cooked mine for 20 minutes, medium heat and was very similar to making a hard sauce for a Christmas Plum Pudding. It does set up as a honey and keeps for a week.You can use this measure for measure to replace honey in your cake recipe or just eat it on toast! Freezing works but you will get a few crystals of sugar form.

No comments: