Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Cream Filling for Cupcakes


This recipe is not specifically for cupcakes, but it is REALLY good in cupcakes.

A few months ago I saw an episode of Everyday Baking on PBS which featured cream filled cupcakes. I was intrigued and immediately went to my kitchen to make a batch. They were just ok. The filling was runny and made the cupcakes mushy after a day. Not yummy. I did not try to tweak the recipe because I did not have a lot of interest in it. It was a fun experiment and it did not work out. I moved on.

Fast forward to last week when I found a recipe on the most excellent blog Nosh With Me for Oatmeal Cream Pies. I loved those plastic wrapped cookie sandwiches when I was a child so I knew I had to try them. The pies were good, but it was the filling that grabbed my attention. I wondered, how it would work if piped into a cupcake? So, I tried it out.

If you like those cream filled cakes you can get at the grocery store then your head will explode for these.

Use whatever chocolate cupcake recipe you like best. I made one from the Joy of Cooking, then a second time with one from the Hersehy’s cookbook, and I frosted them with a simple one-bowl buttercream.


To fill the cupcakes, I used a wide star tip (size 21 is what I use) attached to a coupler on a piping bag. I just pushed the tip into the top of the cupcakes and pressed about a tablespoon of filling inside. If you do not have a piping bag you can just cut out a little bit of the cake from the top, make a hole, fill the hole with filling, then top with the cake you cut out.

Try them, you will not regret it.



Cream Filling Enough to fill and decorate 24 cupcakes

2 tsp very hot water
1/4 tsp salt
1 (7 oz) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Dissolve the sat in the hot water and allow to cool.

Whip the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla until it begins to get
fluffy.

Add the water and whip well.

Posted on http://www.evilshenanigans.com/ - 02/25/2009

3 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

I saw that Everyday Baking episode too (I think it is still on my DVR too!) and your cupcakes turned out better than John's!!!! By a lot! They look like pure awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much!!!

Lyns said...

They are gorgeous. I am giving them a try tomorrow =o) Thanks again Kelly!