Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mumma's 7 Minute Frosting

Mumma's 7-Minute Frosting

This frosting is crazy fun and my Mum used it usually on her angel food cakes. I remember one year it turned a soft pink and was a gorgeous skirt on my favorite

doll. WOW, was I stoked! 

The thing about this frosting is that if you let it set up on the cake and then poke it with your finger, the frosting lifts off the cake and you my friend are busted! That happened to me a lot because I just could not resist! 

To show you just how simple this is .... above you will see me, yes me and my 10th Birthday cake I made for myself because I was too scared somebody would forget to make me a cake. I have remained this paranoid about my Birthday cake ... and to keep count only two of my birthdays were cakeless. This did not fare well with me. Oh no no no!
Frosting for 1 layer cake or approximately 8 to 12 cup cakes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp strawberry or cherry extract if you are making pink frosting.
  • gel pink colouring to colour your fave shade of pink (less is best, you cannot remove more easily)

Directions

Place sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. (If this happens, it could ruin your frosting). Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Fluff onto cupcakes or cake with an offset spatula making swirls and fluffs! Such fun. I, at 10 cut up chewy gumdrop rings to look like flowers and "fluffed" candle holders around the cake. I love that I put aluminum foil on the cake tray and how my candles are tipping over! Put your decorations on the cake or cupcake when frosting is semi set.

No comments: