Monday, September 26, 2011

Snow Down On Me Coconut Frosting by my Gran

Frost your cups and share!

This frosting for me was just an amazing thing, especially when my Gran put the maraschino cherries on top. Her secret was to wrap those cherries in the fridge for 3 days in a paper towel with a "Do Not Eat Me" card tucked in the bowl. I remember watching the juice stain the paper note as it seeped up the edge, when it was time to go on the cake or cupcakes I would carefully take the note and stash it in my little cook book, needless to say I still have a couple of those cherry juice stained notes.
This frosting is pretty versatile but Gran put it on a very simple cake made with a yellow cake mix, she added a pudding mix; likely vanilla There was also sweet flaked coconut and pecans added to the cakes. Oil was 1/4 cup and water was 1 1/3 and eggs were 4. I will post the cake later on next week.
Now this amazing frosting:
Snow Down on Me Frosting
1/3 cup butter (no subs)
6 ounces cream cheese
12 ounces powdered confectioners sugar
2 tsp heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1 cup toasted coconut
Beat your butter until such a pale yellow it is almost white, then thoroughly blend in the cream cheese. This frosting should look like clouds now. Add the sugar alternately with cream and watch carefully because you may not need all of the cream or sugar. Go by your taste! Lastly stir in the vanilla. Spread the frosting generously on top of your cupcakes or cake. Now here you can either use toasted coconut and pecans, non toasted sweet flake coconut and a drained cherry I like to do both and put them on a tray. This frosting is so much better to use the next day! Enjoy and frost your cups!

No comments: