Friday, September 23, 2011

A Very Yummy Apple Dessert

Well hey, this you are going to love. You know why? I am gonna tell y'all. I spend a heck of a lot of time down south in the USA, why? I love it and I love the Kentucky Bourbon! Especially the Honey Bourbon .... but that can get dangerous, right? Well not if you dump it on, in, and drunken your apples with it, first. You get what I am saying right?
Don't let me confizzle you with my recipe either ... it seems a lot but I promise it isn't.

There are indeed a couple of things I need you to do though before you bake this cake. First the room temperature cannot be above 73F or colder than 65F Seriously ... and I need you to chill your butter ... promise! Butter behaves really well if you treat it right. I have had a very long affair with this stuff, I never went to marg and never will. That is for another post though. It is scary but I am old enough to remember all the medical buzz when it came out originally. Yikes!
Art and design by Kelly Brownlee







 



You can fall in love with my friend and her buttery goodness HERE! Isn't this lovely and she doesn't even know I am putting it up here yet, so that is sweetness on my part ...


Kelly is our in house artist and our dear friend that we are very proud to have.

Okay onward to getting your apples drunk! And if you leave the apples in too long you are gonna have a bowl of little old people faces haha!








Okay the cake, please do not make this until you go to the grocers and get all that you need and think ahead because your eggs need to be at room temp. (no you can't microwave them)
At the store:
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup plus approx 2 tbsp berry sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar (has more molasses in it but please do not add molasses to white sugar)
3 eggs room temp
2 cups all purpose flour (you cannot change this with other flours, gluten free mixes also do not seem to work)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon allspice
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons Bourbon (Use 2 tbsp in the batter and reserve 4 tablespoons to drunken your cake)
4 granny smith apples (soaked in your 6 tablespoons of bourbon for an hour, then peeled, cored ) Remove 4 tbsp of your apple infused Bourbon set aside with 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar mixed in.  ** see below
1/2 cup of toasted pecans or I prefer black walnuts

This is not a hurry up cake, it is a slow cooking cake in a 310F oven
You need a prepared 8" baking pan.
Beat the sugars and butter until fluffy. Add in 3 contributions beating 3-5 minutes between each addition. (worth it) This will be nice and fluffy!
Add eggs one at a time and beat in for the duration of saying the alphabet between each addition (again very important) adding all the eggs at once will give you an eggy tasting yukko cake I promise)
Mix all your dry ingredients well (do not add individually to the wet mixture)
Add your dry ingredients in 3 batches until each addition until well incorporated. Do not overmix.
Fold in your drunken apples and your nuts. You can boozy the nuts too but I do not ike it I rather toasted nuts. You decide.
Spread this into an 8 inch pan making sure apples are evenly distributed. This cake bakes slow for 60 to 70 minutes. It will be golden, it will pull slightly from edges. but so not cook until top cracks. When you pull from oven pour your reserved bourbon brown sugar mixture on top.
**Bourbon Brown Sugar Infusuion
4 tablespoons of Bourbon
1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
Cook this down to 2 tablespoons on med high heat (you can pour this over cake warm or cool but the cake needs to be warm)
Serve with cream, whipped cream or ice cream.

No comments: