Lyns told me the theme she wanted me to use was Queen of Hearts, and I loved that idea. Using red sugar, some Martha Stewart cupcake liners and some good ol' conversation hearts I came up with these.
FLUFFY WHITE VEGAN CUPCAKES
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- roughly 1 ½ cups vanilla soymilk
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/8 cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line 20 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Place the apple cider vinegar in the bottom of a liquid measuring cup and fill the cup with soymilk to equal 1 ½ cups. Stir well and set aside (the mixture will curdle).
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another mixing bowl whisk together the soymilk mixture, canola oil, vanilla, and coconut extract. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth using a hand-held mixer, making sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl when needed.
- Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and place on a wire rack. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
THICK & CREAMY FAUX “BUTTER”CREAM
- 1 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
- 1 teaspoon No-Color Butter Flavor
- 3 ½ cups confectioners sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vanilla soy milk
- Beat the shortening until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
- Add the vanilla, butter flavoring and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
So there we are- a delicious vanilla vegan cupcake recipe. More information can be found at my website, where I also posted these. Happy Valentine's Day!