Thursday, July 8, 2010

Some retro cupcakes thanks to Cupcake Rehab.

Hey all. It's Marilla again (from Cupcake Rehab)... Lyns asked me to come and share a recipe with you so here I am!

A few weeks ago I was helping clean out my grandma's kitchen cabinets so she could get rid of some old stuff and have more room when I made an amazing discovery: a vintage, mint condition, brand new in box, never been used 1968 Sunbeam Mixmaster hand mixer!

Isn't it gorgeous? In perfect working order too! And in the box with this little beauty was, of course, an instruction booklet. And what was in that booklet? Recipes!

So I made two of them so far, and one of them I'll be sharing with you today. The recipe for a basic white cake, which I made into cupcakes.


BASIC WHITE CAKE

Ingredients:

  • 2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
  • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
  • 3 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup soft shortening (or unsalted butter)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
  • ¼ teaspoon almond flavoring
  • 3 egg whites, room temperature

Directions:

  1. Set oven to 350 F to preheat. Line 24. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake liners (or grease two 8″ cake pans, or one 13″x9″x2″ pan).
  2. Sift together, into a deep mixing bowl, the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter, ¾ cup of the milk and flavorings. Beat on low until blended, then beat on high for another minute or two.
  3. Scrape the sides of the bowl, add the remaining ¼ cup milk, and egg whites, and beat ½ minute longer on high. Scoop into muffin tins to fill them about ¼ or ½ way (or into greased cake pans, about 1 ½ deep) because they rise a lot. Bake for 30 minutes (or 40 minutes for oblong pan). Cool completely.
I also used the same recipe for these 4th of July cupcakes (which were also for my mom's birthday on July 5th).



The recipe is pretty great- light & airy despite not having to whip the egg whites separately.

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed the post and perhaps Lyns will invite me back soon to share another post with you all.

No comments: